TSB 89-27 (Sept)
SUBJECT: TWENTY STEPS TO SUCCESSFUL TRANSMISSION REPAIR
- As you start work on a transmission, read your ATRA bulletins pertaining to that transmission. (If you do this every time, before you know it you'll have the bulletins memorized.)
- Clean the entire transmission, including the valve body.
- Check pumps, valve bodies, and cases for warpage.
- Flat file pumps, valve bodies, and cases. (Just a few strokes with the file to knock off high spots and handle burrs.)
- Check all pump gear clearances.
- Check planet pinion endplay and side to side motion.
- Soak all planet assemblies.
- Soak all friction material for 15-30 minutes.
- Sand, tumble, or replace all steel plates.
- Re-surface all drums on which a band rides.
- Replace all rotating oi1 control rings.
- Check all oil control rings, and rubber products in their bores for proper fit.
- Replace all major support bushings and bushings that control lube oil.
- Pre-lubricate all bushings and thrust washers.
- Pre-lube pumps.
- Pre-fill torque converters.
- Use available manuals to find specifications.
- Set correct clutch and band clearances
- Take the time to set total unit endplay
- Use a torque wrench on all pumps and valve bodies.